Skye is a great place to learn and develop your sailing skills – Portree Harbour and its backdrop of the Cuillin Hills truly is a marvellous place to sail.
Summer Sailing School
Youth courses during the school summer holidays for ages 10 – 16.
A 4 day sailing course working through the RYA youth syllabus stages 1 – 4.
Most youth sailors manage to complete a stage each summer.
During the 4 day course we work through the required content, yet take time to practice skills, build water confidence and have some fun with a few beach games.
Instruction is delivered by RYA Qualified Instructors and supervised by our RYA Senior Instructor to ensure our high standard in training and safety a maintained.
The course is 4 days, Monday to Thursday starting at 10.30am and finishing at 4pm each day. We keep Fridays open as a spare day. If we get bad weather, then we may offer the Friday as a replacement day.
Adult Sailing Courses
We run sailing courses for adults that are spread over evening and weekend sessions. This suits many adults who don’t have the luxury of school holidays.
Each summer we at least one RYA Level 1 course. This teaches the basic skills to sail a small boat. The course covers many practical skills including launching and recovery, tacking & gybing, upwind and down wind sailing and of course how to quickly recover a capsized boat.
Level 1 is completed over consecutive 4 sessions.
- Saturday (10.30am – 4.00pm)
- Tuesday Evening (6.30pm – 8.30pm)
- Thursday Evening (6.30pm – 8.30pm)
- Saturday (10.30am – 4.00pm)
The dates can be checked on our summer calendar.
After completing the level 1 course we encourage you to attend our club sessions to practice your new skills.
When there is demand we can offer dates for a Level 2 course which take adults sails on to refine skills and add further theory.
From time to time we may offs single day workshops where we will offer a day’s instructor focusing in on particular skills. This may cover topics such as Up Wind Sailing, Sailing with Spinnakers, Trapezing or Racing.
All Adult courses are delivered by RYA qualified Instructors supervised by our RYA Senior Instructor.
Courses begin at 10.30am and end around 4.00pm.
All course participants must become members of the club. However, there is a 30 day membership category which is ideal for those who do not expect to participating in the weekly club nights.
We can cater for family groups wishing to learn together. If booking as a family, we are able to begin our courses with juniors aged below 10 – but please contact us before booking to discuss details.
Courses will use various dinghies and include:
- Topper Club – a single handed boat giving you full control and sometimes a swim
- Topper Race – the ubiquitous dinghy with all the string and tweaky bits for racers
- RS Feva – great two-junior boat with spinnaker - can be a handful for an adult too…
- Laser Bahia – perfect family boat with space for sandwiches and granddad
- RS Quest – new design technology for trapeze artists and explorers alike
You will need to bring with you:
- Towel (you will get wet)
- Non-marking grippy soled trainers (they will get wet)
- Boardshorts or sports shorts for over the wetsuit (helps with moving around the boat)
- Packed lunch
- Warm clothes to change in to at the end
- Enthusiasm and willingness to get wet!
We will provide:
- RYA qualified Instructors
- Qualified Safety Boat operators
- Wetsuit if you do not have your own
- Buoyancy aid
- RYA Certification (if achieved) where offered as part of the course